Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Swimming in Peach Juice (4-20-11)


Are you down with honesty?

I’ve come to expect it in working with kids, and I am often blessed by their frankness.  In the “adult” world, many things are “sugar-coated,” and the answer to, “how are you?” is far too often answered with a hurried “fine.” 

In college, I recall hearing a story of a student from some foreign country (Serbia, maybe?).  Soon after arriving on campus, she met a passer-by on one of the many sidewalks and was extended a standard, “how’s it going?”  She stopped, expecting to have a meaningful chat, only to find that the friendly voice had become a retreating back.

Why all the cold, shallow relationships, where ear buds feed constant noise to ears which prefer podcasts over conversation?  Why is it “safer” to text an entire discussion when you could call…or talk face-to-face…you know, since you’re in the same room anyway…

Are we so afraid of being found vulnerable or lacking?  Are we so fearful of being truly known beyond (or sometimes even within) the walls of home?


Today. Was. Crazy.  In a normal, expected sort of way.  Subbing is for nuts, or at least those who can handle the nut house…and today was just another day at the “Planter” factory.  The kids had a mini play and an Easter party (which I facilitated…) on this day before Break, so the adrenaline and sugar did surely flow.

Same old, same old…you know, a call to the principal at one point for a certain, naughty student, exercise balls in place of chairs (very helpful for channeling energy, but nausea-inducing to watch as heads constantly bounce and stray balls whiz by…), etc…

So, let’s back track to mid-morning.

I had written “Miss Olson” clearly on the white board.  Easy enough, yes?  Apparently not…because the questioning started with, “Are you Miss or Mrs.?”

Let’s think a minute…   Did you read the board?  Did you see the “Miss”?  Not even the mysterious “Ms.”…

Anyway, we cleared that up pretty quickly.  Then, “Are you engaged?” “Do you have a boyfriend?”  Am I in the courthouse for an interrogation or something? 

You know… to be honest, I wasn’t really as annoyed as my writing may suggest.  I’m quite used to the inquiries of students and teachers alike, so I was more amused than anything.  My answer to both questions was a simple, “no”.  Expounding in any way would have only served to encourage further, unnecessary discussion.

But these spunky, little 10 year olds couldn’t help but interject a few heartfelt quips.  “Oh, you’re going to die a lonely, old maid!” (Thank you for your vote of confidence)  “We’re praying for you!”  “I bet a superman will come along.”

Oh dear, dear babes.  I, at times, would have offered my own heart’s cry to yours (though, I know many who have faithfully waited much longer than I)…or would’ve been overcome by self-pity at such candid observations.  It’s not always easy to face the questions.  “Do you have any kids?” “What do you do for a living?” “Why do you have a ring?…” or, one of my favorites, “Have you cornered anyone yet?” (Am I a sheep-dog?).

I won’t pretend that I’m always happy with the uncertainty of my circumstances.  Yet I also will not pretend that everyone else is completely fulfilled by a house full of “things” or children or (supposed) marital bliss or a nicely-figured salary.

Life is messy.  Admittedly, some phases are hardly tolerable.  And, unfortunately, many conversation topics stick to the “niceties” that go no deeper than the fuzz on a peach.  We miss getting to the pit with others because the surface is “safe” and familiar.

Thankfully, there is an unexplainable peace that comes from leaving my identity and purpose at the foot of the cross.  I come face-to-face with the fact that I’ve screwed up…and yet I’m forgiven and free to live with the grace that opens the door to the Creator of all. 

And that grace can and should spill over to others.  We should all be swimming in a pool of mingled peach juice; that’s how Jesus lived.  So how do we get over our aversion to stickiness?  We practice.  And share.  And pray.

Philippians 4:6 (NASB)
Be anxious for nothing, but in everything by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known to God.

Ephesians 2:8-9 (NASB)
For by grace you have been saved through faith; and that not of yourselves, it is the gift of God; not as a result of works, so that no one may boast.

No comments:

Post a Comment