Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Flexibility Quest (4-8-11)


It finally happened. 

I wore my pretty pink shirt.

You know, my sweet little purchase from only one week ago.  I have plans to wear it with an airy little skirt for Easter, but I felt it could use a little breaking in on this last day of the school week.

With locks curled and gathered slightly to one side, I called it a better-than-most hair day and motored off to this day’s school of employment.  I arrived 30 minutes prior to the opening bell and cheerfully greeted the office staff.

After checking in with the bosses (secretaries), I found my room to scan my class notes.  With a quick glance over the familiar desk, I discovered that no such instructions were available.  A call to the absent teacher seemed to be in order to make sure I hadn’t written my assignment on the wrong date. 

You see, this sweet teacher likes to text her sub requests.  I have no qualms about her methodology; I simply respond with my answer and pencil the info onto my calendar.  The key here is that I always respond…  Apparently, I did not receive her text from three days ago, which stated I wouldn’t be needed after all.  Ooops…

My initial disappointment was replaced with thoughts of how I could now fill my day.  She meant me no harm, and I simply never had a “new text” message to give me warning of the change.  Nor did this teacher know that I could have accepted two other (much higher paying) positions for the day.  That can be a tough pill to swallow for someone with unstable income.

The situation didn’t warrant mercy and grace.  I could have chosen to extend neither and left with an angry or mopey countenance.  But you know what?  I have received measureless blessing and favor, and this opportunity to extend even a speck of that to others was yet another gift to add to my day.  So, I left with a, “truly, don’t worry about the mix up; it’s not a big deal.”  And it wasn’t a big deal.  It was another lesson to show the flexibility that’s essential for moments that don’t go according to my plan.

And the gifts continued…  I received a welcome text around lunch time, asking me to sub for a day in May…along with the happy news that I’d be paid for the day despite the mix up.  A blessing I neither deserved nor expected, but a welcome one none-the-less.  Thank You Jehovah-Jireh! 

No comments:

Post a Comment